Everyone arriving in the United States passes through an inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Before you leave your home country, take time to double-check that you have gathered all the documents listed below for your travel to the United States.
To learn more about required U.S. entry documents, especially if on an F-1 or M-1 visa, please visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Study in the States website.
Certificate of eligibility
Confirm you have the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the institution you will be attending. Check that this document has been signed by the Designated School Official (DSO), that your name is spelled the same as it is in your passport, and that your birthdate is correct.
Passport and nonimmigrant visa
Ensure that your passport is current before travel. Note that citizens of some countries are required to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports before their entry into the United States. Carry your passport and certificate of eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) with you at all times during your travel.
Contact information
Have the name and phone number of your contact on campus, in case you need to call him/her upon arrival in the United States. When arriving in the United States, calling cards can be purchased at most convenience stores and are recommended for travelers who may not have a mobile phone or other means of communication for the first few days.
Birth certificate and marriage certificate
Be sure to obtain notarized translations of these certificates if they are not in English and you are traveling with a spouse or child. Note that your spouse and child must also have their own student or exchange visa and certificate of eligibility.