Statement by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo in support of the Joint Statement of Principles in Support of International Education

U.S. Commercial Service

As part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Commercial Service offers valuable assistance to American businesses exporting goods and services, including the provision of education for international students. We are part of a global network of trade specialists dedicated to assisting U.S. commercial interests worldwide. Trade specialists at over 100 domestic and over 150 international locations, including partner posts, are happy to help identify trade opportunities and local potential trading partners within their respective regions and industry sectors. To get started, please contact your local U.S. Export Assistance Center, searchable by location at

Deemed Exports

The U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) regulates the export, re-export or transfer of certain technology under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). This includes many proprietary technologies used in commercial applications, as well as military applications. BIS advises that an export license may be required for foreign nationals to access technology that is regulated under the EAR, in the course of conducting research or otherwise. This is because the release of technology to a foreign national in the United States is deemed to be an export of the technology to the home country of the foreign national. Persons or institutions who plan to release technology to foreign nationals, including foreign nationals visiting the United States on educational visas or coordinating research with U.S. universities, may need to apply for a license from BIS.

For further information, including information on exemptions that apply to publicly available technology or technology arising from fundamental research, go to and choose the Policy Guidance tab, then click on Deemed Exports in the dropdown menu. It is also important to screen foreign organizations, including foreign universities and higher education institutions, against the proscribed parties lists maintained by the U.S. government, to ensure that joint research or other activities do not run afoul of U.S. regulations. To do so, access the Consolidated Screening List.