Plan ahead! Confirm the application and admissions process with the short-term study programs that interest you.
Application and admission procedures vary based on the program. Each short-term program provider will have exact instructions on the institution's website, including deadlines for application and other requirements.
Before applying to a short-term program, answer the following questions:
- What are your educational goals for completing the program?
- Is earning a degree important to you, or do you want to take a few classes to learn a new skill or to complete a certificate program to increase your professional status?
- What are the total costs of the program?
- Do the fees include books and shipping, if necessary?
- Are there any additional expenses?
- Is there any financial aid available?
- What academic or technical assistance is offered throughout the program?
- Where will you live?
Before applying to a distance education program, think about:
- Do you have a place at home or at work that you can claim as your own for extended periods of study and communication with the program?
- Is occasional attendance on the campus in the United States possible for you?
- Do you require a program that can be completed entirely from your home country without traveling to the United States?
- If the program is given at a particular time, would the time difference between your country and the campus in the United States prevent you from participating?
- How is the program information delivered, and what equipment will you need to receive it?
- If it is a computer-based program, does the computer that you use meet the requirements of the program?
- Will the information be delivered to you in enough time (for example, if it is delivered by mail) for you to complete the course?