Incentive- or Commission-Based Agents
EducationUSA advising centers offer accurate, current, and comprehensive information about the full range of higher education opportunities available at accredited U.S. higher education institutions. Consistent with this goal, EducationUSA advisers refrain from partnering with any recruitment agent who receives compensation in the form of a per-student commission from an institution in which a student enrolls following recruitment by the agent. Agents receiving compensation under such an arrangement cannot be expected to give priority to a student’s need to explore the full range of options provided by the diversity of U.S. higher education.
The EducationUSA advising network seeks to have a presence at key higher education fairs and/or fairs organized by an entity of the U.S. government. While the EducationUSA network has a policy of not partnering with commission- or incentive-based recruitment agents, we seek to present our model of recruitment whenever feasible; therefore, members of the EducationUSA network can attend fairs where these agents are present as a way to offer an alternative to students and institutions reluctant to use them.
Caveat: EducationUSA will not participate in a fair if we have determined that:
- The fair is organized primarily to promote the use of commission- or incentive-based recruitment agents or
- Known fraudulent agents and/or institutions are taking part in the fair
EducationUSA’s Required Free Services
For students, EducationUSA Centers provide the following services to students free of charge:
- Regular introductory group sessions that introduce the U.S. higher education system and the application process for undergraduate and graduate admission
- Access to the EducationUSA website
- Introduction to the advising library and access to basic reference materials
- Pre-Departure Orientations (although a fee for venue rental and/or refreshments can apply)
For accredited U.S. colleges and universities, all EducationUSA Centers offer the following services free of charge:
- Information about international student mobility
- Information about local education systems
- Contact information and listings of local high schools and accredited or government-recognized universities