What is A U.S. Undergraduate Student?

An undergraduate student in the United States is seeking one of two higher education degrees—an associate degree or a bachelor’s degree. The associate degree usually takes two years to complete, is offered at two-year colleges known as community colleges, and may be earned in a two-year program or as part of a transfer program to a four-year institution.

The bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete, is offered at degree-granting institutions known as colleges, universities, or specialized institutes, is highly flexible, and offers a wide variety of courses.